Sunday, January 27, 2008

What was I thinking?

What is it about women and their hair? Lately, I haven't been happy with mine!
It looks dull and lifeless. Last time I got a hair cut the lady used a razor on my hair and it really messed it up…looks like I have frizzy hair all the time! The older I get the more my hair changes…no longer do I have beautiful silky flowing blonde hair…it now has some wave in the back…straight in the front…and going darker with a little gray. UGH!

So I decided to take matters into my own hands and color it...I thought it would be a quick fix to my anguish. I went to our favorite getting place…Wally World! The color choices can be very overwheleming! So after about 30 mins of looking I went for a light blonde! Came home and went to work…can I say UGLY! It looked horrible. The color didn't take in all places and I could see the differences...a blob here and a blob there! Yucky! I kept the look for about a week and couldn’t handle it anymore.



So... back to Wally World and this time went with something dark. Why fight what is happening naturally... plus I've always wondered what I would look like with darker hair...so I went for a Medium Brown in a cool color and it had highlights too! YES... this was the one for me! Let's try this again!



Well after I coloring it...it was a deep brown...deeper then I thought it would be! But thought it'll be okay after I pull in the highlights thru! Well the highlights looked brassy and covered the top of my head...I tried pulling it through the bottom layers but I didn't notice a color change. The bottom of my hair looked ashy more blue and purple in color! Can we say YUCK...again!



The next day I went to Bible Study and NO ONE said anything...good or bad about my hair. So I thought "that's it"...time for Professional Intervention!



So Friday I called the local Cost Cutters…again at Wally World! And Holly answered the phone. I said…“Hi Holly…I NEED HELP!” Then I explained what a horrible mess I made of my hair and she said she understood and it could be fixed…she also added that she was one of the best for color corrections there! YEAH! I was sooo relieved!



My appointment was at 2pm…so I had plenty of time to wash, dry and style my new brown locks …take some photos of the “Before” look and later I’d take the “After“ more beautiful look…figuring it would make a great scrapbooking page!


BEFORE
Not too bad




When I arrive at Cost Cutters…Holly was standing at the desk and smiled and said “You must be Mikki!” And I said…“Oh no! Is my hair that bad you can spot me a mile away?”
She laughed “saying no it’s not that bad” Oh thank goodness! But the more she looked at my hair she could see the blue tone on the bottom and the brassiness on top. So her suggestion was to add Highlights and Lowlights. I’m game…anything would be better then having part orange, part blue hair! Then I explain that I just hate my hair cut too…I want something more trendy…some thing fresh and new.

So after 3 hours in the chair this is what I ended up with. Three colors in my hair…and a long shag! Not sure I’m happy with it…but there is no way I can change it now! When will we ever learn to let the professionals have a go at it first before we muck things up?
After
I look like a tri-colored tabby cat!

I think I've learned my lesson...well...NO... not really cause I want to go back and get the medium brown and re-dye my hair again!
Let me know your thoughts…was the before better then the after or the after better then the before. Thanks…love to hear your comments!

13 comments:

mama_in_pajamas said...

Mikki, I like your before pic better, but I think it's because of the lightening in that pic compared to the lighting in the after pic. And your bangs. I like the "before" bangs better. Makes your face softer. The after picture is nice too though. THe cut in the back is very pretty

Honestly though, Mikki, I think you are beautiful inside and out. Don't worry so much about your hair. Hair grows. Hair changes color. And next time, don't go to Walmart!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mama. I like the back in the after, but the bangs in the first one. I honestly didn't see the 'blue' in the picture so the first didn't look as bad as you made it sound. After having a number of run ins like you...I went to a medium priced salon....much happier with their cut and color than the cheapie salons or me trying to do it!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Mikki, but I had to giggle at "the long shag" - presume it means the same in the US as in the UK LOL.

I like the 'after' - and don;t forget, it will fade a little when it's washed a few times, that's when you really wonder if itwas worth the hours sat in the chair - not to mention the money you spent!

Didhubby notice? Mine usually doesn't LOL

Brook said...

I like the after pict too! It is hp and sassy! Like Dawn said, the coloring will fade and be more mellow. Your hair looks great. Check it out in a few weeks, you will love it.

Diana said...

I think you look great; yea I'd definitely avoid the boxes and just splurge on the salon....some things are best left to those with training! :)

Mrs Pretzel said...

I like them both. You definitely look good with dark hair! I stopped dying my hair a while ago.

Laurajean said...

I think your a knock-out either way....but I know what your saying...I've had my experience with coloring my own hair to be cheaper....well, lets just say...it was AWEFUL...had to go to JCPENNEY to have them fix it the best way possible ($$70) Never again...i will pay now to get it done....just wish I could find a fix I like :o)

Anonymous said...

My dear sister! I've finally talked my wife into NOT doing a thing to her hair. I love her for who she is...naturally. I think we all love you naturally as well. Quit messing with a perfect you. Be who you are! I love you!

Tom

Anonymous said...

Hi Mikki - I like the before better. And, for the record, Tom didn't talk me into anything - I was just sick and tired of coloring my hair - you should see it now - silver!! It actually looks highlighted!
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hey sweet Mikki-
Hi from Iowa. I have to say that I told my hairstylist I had to quit spending so much money on my hair (I color of course). She said, "oh honey, don't scrimp on your hair. If you need to skip dinner out one or two times a month". Made sense to me, so I continue my professional approach to erasing the gray. I do appreciate your sister's desire to be "done with it".

Anyway, you look great in all the pictures--even the before. I like the last cut as well and the highlights are beautiful. As are you.

Miss you much down here. Hello to the man and the kids.
Love, Keela

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful in all the photo's! Always loved you ala natural blonde, the brown looked pretty too. Definately love the layered shag in the back, and have always preferred you with bangs.
Me, I've decided to stop coloring altogether, naturally dark with natural silver hi-lites. I think the trick is to do whatever makes YOU HAPPY! Love you, Mamaw

Anonymous said...

What ever happened to the beautiful Strawberry Blond you were born with?
Beautiful deep blue eyes with a little red highlights is your color.
Love you anyway you want it to be.
Mama

nancy_scraps said...

I love the color in the "after" picture. And the cut is really "hip". I think it's great!

Now in the future, you need to find a good salon and hair cutter. Someone who can get to know you and your hair. That will keep you out of the colorant aisle at WalMart! (Although it looked ok from the pictures!)